Monday, December 5, 2016

First Week in the Field!

Hola everyone! 

Wow, this place is great! I am now officially in the Nevada Reno Mission field. Along with a large number of fellow missionaries heading to various locations, I left the MTC in Provo last Tuesday, flying out of Salt Lake City. My group headed west and arrived in Reno Tuesday afternoon. After meeting with the Mission President we were assigned the zones in which we will be serving in the coming days.

At the Salt Lake City airport. Elder Gurr, myself, Elder Wilson and Elder Abbott.

I was welcomed to Reno from the Nevada Reno Mission President,
Brother Bruce Chesnut and his wife Sister Tamara Brown Chesnut.

My first area is in the Carson City zone. My house and one of my wards is in Gardnerville/Minden. It seems to be a great town and I've been told I live in one of the nicest houses in the mission. I don't doubt it, it's very nice. The other ward in which I will be serving is none other than South Lake Tahoe, the prettiest area in the mission, and arguably one of the prettiest places in the country! Although I have my bike, we are currently driving a Jeep Compass because the areas are obviously pretty spread out.

View from Carson City.

South Lake Tahoe, where I am also serving.

My trainer/companion is from Tijuana, Mexico. He knew zero English when he came to the mission about 4 months ago and now he is almost completely fluent! He works me like a red-headed step child because he wants me to become a trainer after 12 weeks, as it reflects both on his ability to teach and mine to learn.



My current residence.

Elder Guzman loading the Jeep. I will post a better photo of him next week.

My workspace.

Living room.

Anyway, this area is mostly English speaking so its pretty funny that I've only taught two lessons in Español. The Nevada Reno Mission covers from eastern California, up to the very southernmost part of Idaho, over to parts of western Utah and down to just north of Las Vegas. As I transfer to different Zones throughout my mission I will serve many Spanish prevalent Wards. Elder Guzman and I speak in Spanish almost exclusively while we are together so I won't get out of practice. Since I arrived we have already had a baptism and I have also been to participate in a confirmation and ordainment so that has been gratifying.

As today was my first p-day in the field I didn't have much as much time to write as I wanted. But I plan on spending more time on it in the coming week. 

Adiós! and more next semana I promise!

Elder Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment