Monday, December 12, 2016

Week Two - Mexican Food and Lake Tahoe

Howdy Everyone!

Elder Jones here, second week in the field! It's all going by so fast, seriously. It seems like a cliche but I swear I just got into the MTC last week.


Elder Guzman and Elder Jones


Incoming Missionaries - Nevada Reno

Anyhoo, things are pretty rad here in Nevada/California. We have two young boys getting baptized here on Saturday. It's been awesome to watch them grow and understand so much. It might also be because I'm an amazing teacher ;) I wish I knew as much as them when I was their age! 

I also had an opportunity to go on an exchange with my zone leader, Elder Peterson. I got to live in his apartment for a night and do things a little different than how my trainer does things and it was a lot of fun. Also Elder Peterson is a total Utah Bro so that was pretty lit. We did a ton of knocking on doors and that was fun. And we talked with everyone and their mom on the streets. I got to pet like 80 dogs so that was the best. 

You know whats not the best? Being a super gringo and getting sick from one Mexican meal. I had my first real taste of Mexican cuisine out here (beef tongue tacos) which actually tasted amazing. But then it had a very adverse affect on my digestive system, to put it lightly. Eventually I got over it and you know what they say, whatever doesn't totally destroy your innards makes them stronger. I was just on that brink so hopefully they'll be stronger now.


Me, shortly after my first taste of an authentic Mexican dish, beef tongue tacos.

In more reverent news... I gave my first blessing! Our recent convert Claud was going in to his neurologist to see if he needed neck surgery (which would be bad news), and he asked us for a blessing. So we went over and had a nice long talk (because Claud is the coolest grandpa-age dude I've ever met) and then he asked me to do the blessing! I was like wuuuhhh idk, but then I composed myself and went for it and the Spirit just talked through me! It was really great and he was tearing up at the end. He was super thankful and then we went to another appointment we had afterwards. Then later that day we get a text from him and he basically said that he doesn't need neck surgery and he said he thinks the blessing really helped, nice! Preisthood power!


Elder Guzman and myself, visiting members in South Lake Tahoe.

South Lake Tahoe beach, newly covered with snow.

Yesterday I finally got to go up to Lake Tahoe during the day time! We had Sacrament meeting up there and then had lunch at a member couple's house. And then they invited us to go down to the lake with them while they met another member couple to walk dogs and such. So of course we went down because what better way to start a conversation with random people than with a dog! Well the walk through the woods and the icy beach was super beautiful, but it turns out not that many other people thought so, because there was exactly zero other people there. But at least we got some pictures and strengthened relationships between members, yayyy.

I've really been enjoying it up here and I am super thankful for everything the Lord has given me. 

Love all you guys and will talk to you next week!

Elder Jones



No comments:

Post a Comment